TOM HOWE LANDFILL, HAGERSVILLE, ONTARIO
XCG was retained in 2009 to undertake the detailed design, tendering, construction oversight and contract administration for Phases 1, 2, and 3 of the landfill gas collection and flaring system at the Tom Howe Landfill.
Haldimand County prepared a design brief outlining the three- phase approach to expanding its landfill gas collection and flaring system in advance of the final closure of the Tom Howe Landfill in 2015. The three-phase approach included the addition of landfill gas wells, a landfill gas header, connections to leachate manholes, and compressed air and condensate lines tying in to the existing system.
The work completed by XCG on the project from 2009 to 2015 is as follows:
• Detailed design of Phases 1, 2, and 3 of the landfill gas collection and flaring system.
• Preparation of design drawings and specifications for all three phases of the project.
• Assistance and support during the tendering process.
• Construction oversight including the following:
- Ensuring adherence to the drawings and specifications.
- Monitoring landfill gas well drilling depths to ensure integrity of the landfill liner system.
- Modifying landfill gas well details based on drilling depths to optimize effectiveness of the wells.
- Monitoring pressure testing of all solid HDPE pipe installed during the project.
- Providing direction to the contractor with regards to changes to the drawings and specifications based on field conditions.
• A summary letter, including as-recorded drawings and site photographs, at the conclusion of the project in support of the Counties revised Certificate of Approval.